Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OFFICIAL: Archery Thread

I need some advice on archery.

I've decided to get more involved with my archery and am looking at buying a new bow. Either recurve or compound. I already have a Browning Compound Bow, so I'm leaning more to getting a recurve.

I've never looked into what you really need to keep your bow maintained, or what you need to make your own arrows, or what sizes would be proper for someone of my height and build.

I have always just picked up a bow, and shot it.

My Browning, is capable of going from 50-75 pounds I believe; from what the guy who sold it to me, told me. I'm not sure what model it is, but I can post a photo tomorrow. Hopefully.

How should I go about figuring out the length/weight of an arrow shaft, and what type/size/weight of arrow heads on it? I would like to hunt small game, so I was thinking field points or those small game arrow heads; and also larger game (bear, moose, wolf, caribou, etc), so I was thinking of getting a few different kinds of broadheads for that.

Which brands of bows, would you recommend and why? Which arrow shafts and heads? Also, what maintenance or build tools/supplies?

Also, with compound bows; how do you go about getting sights, rests, releases, "silencers", etc?

I want to take my archery more seriously and get more into bow hunting. So what kind of advice and knowledge can some of you give me?

I have found several really decently priced bows on eBay, so I'm considering buying from there. Bows are really quite expensive from Cabela's.

Also Crossbows, any info on them would be good too. I'm considering an Excalibur, but they're incredibly pricey; but oh so beautiful.

So tell me what you know! Give me the goods, please and thank you!

It's not the size of the dog, in the fight. It's the size of the fight, in the dog.

No guts, no glory. All pain, and fury.

Paging Mr. Highlander, Mr. Highlander please pick up the courtesy phone.
    Let’s Go Brandon!!!!!

Comment

I use a compound, myself. It's a Bowtech. It has a lightweight 5 pin sight with lighted pins. I like that each pin can be individually adjusted. Look for that feature because many of them do not. Accurate and light to carry. I need to get it restrung before next season. Lighted nocks are finally legal here so I'll be shooting those-much easier to find the arrow. I had a whisker biscuit rest but went with a ramp style this year and also replaced the string bead with a loop, the loop is better imo. I like that you're pulling right behind the arrow rather than above it.

Comment

I have a thirty five year old Martin warthog and a bunch of autumn orange arrows. They still shoot better then I do. You don't need that fancy boy crap. I have a 40 year old horse bow from Mongolia. That's the most fun bow I ever shot.
        Bigger the Government, the smaller the Citizen.

Comment

Originally posted by rover View Post
          I have a thirty five year old Martin warthog and a bunch of autumn orange arrows. They still shoot better then I do. You don't need that fancy boy crap. I have a 40 year old horse bow from Mongolia. That's the most fun bow I ever shot.
          Yeah, I'm thinking of going with a recurve. Keep it simple, stupid.
          It's not the size of the dog, in the fight. It's the size of the fight, in the dog.

Comment

stick bows rock........just sayin
            "Virtute et armis"

Girls play with dolls. Men play with dead animals

https://www.uso.org

Islam is right about women

sde: Because it was trolling and by damn God, that's what we fucking do here. Always have, always will

#learn2code

Epstein didn't kill himself & neither did Qassem Soleimani

Eric Ciaramella is the whistle blower

Comment

Thinking about a crossbow. But haven't had one since the PSE. it was the one that kept breaking limbs. So I sold it.

Comment

Originally posted by rover View Post
                Thinking about a crossbow. But haven't had one since the PSE. it was the one that kept breaking limbs. So I sold it.
                plastic shooting equipment

lol

go with a PARKER

http://web.parkerbows.com/crossbows.html
                "Virtute et armis"

Girls play with dolls. Men play with dead animals

https://www.uso.org

Islam is right about women

sde: Because it was trolling and by damn God, that's what we fucking do here. Always have, always will

#learn2code

Epstein didn't kill himself & neither did Qassem Soleimani

Eric Ciaramella is the whistle blower

Comment

Originally posted by swampbilly View Post

lol

go with a PARKER

I would recommend a Barnett or if you have the coin to spend...... Excalibur.

I told HH this story, I will relate it to you all.....

A few years ago I was looking for a crossbow, and had bought a Barnett Quad400 at Walmart for $400.

The same day, (in fact I still had my new crossbow in the box in my truck) my elderly neighbor asked me to help him with a project. His daughter needed her locks changed.
                  I agreed to do it, and I followed him there. While I was changing the locks, she asked me if I knew anyone who wanted to buy a crossbow that was "like new."
                  Seems her husband had died the year before, and one of the last purchases he had made was a crossbow.

I told her I would ask around, but that I had just got one. Then I said "If you like, I could return the one I bought, and buy yours, as long as it is decent brand and in good shape."
                  She told me where it was in the closet. (She is in a wheelchair and couldn't get to it herself.)

I pull down a beautiful, perfect, Excalibur Exomax, (Exactly like Uncle Ted Nugent is always shooting on his television show.)

I told her it sells for $1000 and she should put it on craigslist and maybe get more than the $400 I had to offer. She said she would rather have the $400 immediately than to wait to maybe get more. So I went and got a refund, and then came right back. I bought the crossbow.

Then she told me to take all the "crap" that went with it, and pointed at the shelf top shelf in the closet. There I found SEVERAL packs of bolts ($120 worth or so.) There was also a bunch of broadheads and the rope cocking device. She insisted I take all of it too. So I was feeling good about getting about $200 worth of extras.

As I started to leave, she said "Don't forget that junk behind my sofa!" I tried to argue, but she made me take the brand new self climbing tree stand ($200).

If you added up all the extra gear, I actually bought all the bolts and tree climber, and got the crossbow for free.

It was amazing.

And as to what brand to buy....... I have fired the Barnett Quad400 (my buddies), and I have fired my Excalibur. They are both extremely good devices. The Excalibur is lighter and quieter, but both are wonderful.
                  Let’s Go Brandon!!!!!

Comment

If he buys a Barnett he is supporting a Florida company.
                    https://csagovernment.org/index.html

http://deovindice.org/

http://dixienet.org/

http://leagueofthesouth.com/

Comment

Originally posted by dudeman View Post
                      Shhh I know.
                      Let’s Go Brandon!!!!!

Comment

lol

go with a PARKER

I don't think it was plastic!
                        maybe it wasn't a PSE, it had fiberglass limbs. And a few had broke on people, you could get a new set for free but I didn't bother.

...oh, that's a joke, "PSE" got it!

Comment

Originally posted by dudeman View Post
                          Its a toss up between Excalibur and Barnett; if I decide to go with a crossbow.

I think I'm gonna get a recurve and another compound bow from eBay (they're cheap enough); broadheads and shafts are going to cost more. So if the bows end up being garbage, I won't be out a whole lot of cash.

And then, I think I'll buy myself a nice crossbow; probably Excalibur, because I like everything about 'em. I could buy a Barnett right now, from Walmart; but it's $500 for a low end model that they carry and not exactly what I want. So I figure I might as well spend a little extra cash and just buy the Excalibur I have had orgasms over or a similar Barnett.

And PS-I offered to buy Mayaca's crossbow and all the shit he got for it, at the same price he got it for. But he wouldn't go for it the cunt.

Oh well, it was worth a shot.

Comment

lol

go with a PARKER

Those actually look pretty decent. Thinking about buying the muddy girl enforcer one for my wife, to get her into the sport.

Comment

Originally posted by HeavyHauler View Post

Its a toss up between Excalibur and Barnett; if I decide to go with a crossbow.. So I figure I might as well spend a little extra cash and just buy the Excalibur I have had orgasms over or a similar Barnett.

And PS-I offered to buy Mayaca's crossbow and all the shit he got for it, at the same price he got it for. But he wouldn't go for it the cunt.

Now I have to go wash your dirty thoughts off of it.

Let’s Go Brandon!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X