Ketones and body fuel discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ketones and body fuel discussion

It seems like this topic has come up in several other threads, but we have a dedicated thread to the specific discussion of a Ketone-based diet.
    In super simple terms, the body can run off of two fuel types just like the military trucks that are multi fuel and can run off of gasoline or diesel or kerosene or whatever.
    if you were taking in enough carbohydrates, your body will run on sugar. But this is not how we were designed or "evolved" to operate.
    before farming, consider how people lived. They would hunt meat. If they also found plants that were edible, that was great. But that would be a slight add on to whatever they killed that day.

When you take in mostly protein and only additional plants, your body runs off of the protein. Out of the protein we get ketones and the body runs on them.

Back then on those rare occasions that the people took in a bunch of carbs their body would switch into energy storage mode and they might put fat on. Like a bear getting ready to hibernate. The plants fruits and nuts were abundant enough to add fat. But when they went back to Ketone burning mode, they would be burning fat as they went.

So all of this is a long-winded way to say that if you eat a diet that is 50% protein and 25% carbohydrates and 25% fat (or something close to those numbers), you would be on a ketone diet. And your body would be in fat burning mode.

The Atkins diet, the Balance diet, the Raw food diet, the Paleo diet and several others all advocate this balance.

There are also many studies that show that being away from these carbohydrates lessons your susceptibility to Alzheimer's disease multiple sclerosis and all the other neurological disorders. In fact if you have them this diet has been shown to stop the progression of them. *I can link the medical journal that has several articles about this..
    Last edited by Mayaca; 01-11-2017, 06:36 AM.
    Let’s Go Brandon!!!!!

I have been on Paleo before, and I find that I lose weight very easily, I feel better and I hurt less from my arthritis.

I know Chip Douglas has also been on ketones, and can speak to this too.

five days ago I went back on the Paleo diet. I am eating as much as I want, but I am not eating processed carbs at all. I have stopped drinking soda and I'm not eating any bread or grains. I am losing at least a pound a day and some days more than that. I feel awesome have energy and I'm having zero negative side effects from this diet. I just wanted to share this because I know that it is something that many of you would benefit from because of various health disorders.
    Last edited by Mayaca; 01-11-2017, 06:36 AM.
    Let’s Go Brandon!!!!!

Comment

I was wondering which sock Highlander would show up under since he has disappeared from the internet.

Comment

Also, you might want to go back and edit for capitalization and spelling before one of the others see this.

Comment

Originally posted by Woods Devil View Post
          I was wondering which sock Highlander would show up under since he has disappeared from the internet.
          Why has he talked about this before too?

and I think I have been around enough and posted enough under my own name that no one would believe I am somebody sock at this point.
          Let’s Go Brandon!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Mayaca View Post
            Why has he talked about this before too?

and I think I have been around enough and posted enough under my own name that no one would believe I am somebody sock at this point.

That's exactly what a sock would say.

Anyway, I won't derail your thread any further. I do have a question on the subject, brb.

Comment

Post workout ketosis.

I've read about how those who work out to extremes can go into post workout ketosis. For example. ultra marathon runners would burn up all the evil carbies in their system and start burning fatties.

I've also read that it normally takes a while for the ordinary person to go into ketosis.

Anyway, I was wondering how long a person would take to go into ketosis if they stopped eating all carbs and then had a good workout.

Comment

Post workout ketosis.

I've read about how those who work out to extremes can go into post workout ketosis. For example. ultra marathon runners would burn up all the evil carbies in their system and start burning fatties.

I've also read that it normally takes a while for the ordinary person to go into ketosis.

Anyway, I was wondering how long a person would take to go into ketosis if they stopped eating all carbs and then had a good workout.

Oh I don't know. That is a level of understanding of the process beyond my knowledge.

How long it takes is probably to do with how many carbs you have taken in, how much you exercise, your own metabolism, etc.

I do know that you go into ketosis every night while you sleep. If you make your last meal about 5 or so, weigh yourself before bed and when you first get up. You will see you drop pounds at night too.

On this topic..... I will add a few general healthy eating habits to consider: I am not a nutritionist, so "check with your doctor, blah blah blah...."

But the following are things I was told and read about while managing a health food store ages ago.

1. If you take in a decent amount of proteins at breakfast without a ton of carbs, then it stabilizes your blood sugars for the day. If you have carbs and no protein or nothing at all, then your blood sugar goes like a rollercoaster all day. That is what causes cravings and uneven energy.

So starting with protein can make you feel more full and have more consistent energy all day.

2. To increase metabolism, and have better energy, don't skip meals. Instead have more meals, but make them smaller.
                I eat breakfast (protein shake) about 6:30 before work. (7 or when I wake up on off days). Then about 10 I have a small snack. About 12 I have lunch. Then around 3pm I have another small snack. And finally I have supper about 5:30 or 6. The stuff I read said 5 or 6 meals a day, so you don't have to be rigid about it.
                Let’s Go Brandon!!!!!

Comment

Also, you might want to go back and edit for capitalization and spelling before one of the others see this.
                  Thanks I was using text to speech function on the phone. I just opened the laptop and saw how bad it was. LOL
                  Let’s Go Brandon!!!!!

Comment

Post workout ketosis.

I also don't think it is that rare for a person to go in to ketosis if they do aerobic exercise and haven't carb-loaded on purpose, or if they just go a while without the carbs.
                    Let’s Go Brandon!!!!!

Comment

You've said nothing about how this is hard on the kidneys. Some of you already have health problems
                      Tuesday is soylent green day

Comment

Originally posted by Night View Post
                        You've said nothing about how this is hard on the kidneys. Some of you already have health problems
                        That is a great point Nighty. When Atkins first came out it got a bad name because of this. When on this diet, you HAVE to drink a lot of water. That is really all there is to it

The kidneys are more heavily involved in processing this diet. So if you don't drink enough water, they overheat like a car motor might. This is called ketogenic acidosis I believe.

The answer is simple...... drink a lot of water.

I am not aware of ANYONE who has kept their water intake high, and still had issues.

*It should be noted, most people don't drink enough water as it is. I read somewhere the percentage of people who walk around in a state of partial dehydration, but I don't remember the exact number. It was really really high though.

So drink at least 1 gallon of water a day minimum. You should have no issue.

And yes.......... again............. ask your Dr.

******* About 3 or 4 years ago, I had been going to a Dr for about a year, and my blood work was decent. Not stellar, but good. So I was talking to him about this diet, and he expressed interest. His wife is a nutritionist and they had been eating this way without ever studying the specific diets. Based on our conversation, he bought a Paleo book. He asked me if we could to my blood work every 2 months for a while to see what this diet did, good or bad.

After my 3rd set of blood work, he asked for permission to use my results to present to his patients because my numbers were so amazingly beyond perfect IN EVERY CATEGORY.

Thanks for bringing this up Nighty. It is an important part of it all.
                        Let’s Go Brandon!!!!!

Comment

Isn't acetone a ketone? I know when I may or may not have ran a still you always wanted to discard the first 2 ounces of product so you wouldn't go blind.
                          https://csagovernment.org/index.html

http://deovindice.org/

http://dixienet.org/

http://leagueofthesouth.com/

Comment

Originally posted by dudeman View Post
                            Isn't acetone a ketone? I know when I ran a still you always wanted to discard the first 2 ounces of product so you wouldn't go blind.
                            I have no knowledge of that, but it could be a chemically rendered one.... LOL Who knows....

And I think that first 2 ounces has more to do with the vessel it is being brewed in? Something about the copper? I don't remember for sure...
                            Let’s Go Brandon!!!!!

Comment

It has to do with the volitals that form at lower temps. Acetone is about 138* then you get into the methanol at about 145. You hit ethanol at 174 and then get into the isopropals and fusil oils at about 200. If I ever did distill I would hold the still temp at 168 until it quit producing and then turn up the heat until it hits 198 and end the run there.
                              https://csagovernment.org/index.html

http://deovindice.org/

http://dixienet.org/

http://leagueofthesouth.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X