Pie Secrets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pie Secrets

This subforum needs attention, I'm kind of adopting it till the next time I go back under my rock.

My FIL is almost impossible to please when it comes to pies. It takes a miracle to get a compliment out of him. His wife is the best cook I have ever known, and she rarely impresses him with a pie. Several years ago I started making pie after pie after pie, determined to get a compliment. As the old saying goes, practice makes perfect. I succeeded and have a few tips.

If you want a fantastic cream pie this is what you do - Prepare your filling. If you are taking it to a gathering, do not put the filling in the shell until serving time. Line your pan with crust and poke the entire thing with a fork, so it doesn't make a big bubble when baking. In a small dish, combine about 1/8 cup of milk with the same amount of sugar. Brush this on your unbaked pie shell, focusing on the crimped edges too. Then, take about 1/8 cup of granulated sugar and dust it all. Bake as directed. When you are ready, add the fillings. You will have a wonderful crispy, sweet brown pie crust. I get loads of compliments on this pie.

When making fruit pies, exchange the thickener for Bird's Custard powder. I add a lot, it makes gooseberry pies the loveliest shade of pink and they thicken up nicely.

Gypsy's In A Hurry Coconut Cream Pie Filling:

This recipe is for two pies

Large box vanilla pudding
    Small box cheesecake pudding
    1 can evaporated milk
    2% milk to make enough for 2 pies
    2 cups coconut

Mix and set in refrigerator

Quart of heavy whipping cream
    Enough powdered sugar to make slightly sweet

Whip until stiff.

Place your pudding in the pie shell (must be cooled!) and top with whipped cream. Sometimes I toast coconut in the oven and top with it.
    No problem can be solved from the same level of consciousness that created it. -Einstein

If anyone wants the real deal, no hurry coconut cream pie, I can post my pastry cream recipe. It's yummy but I save it for a Sunday when I have time to mess with it.
    No problem can be solved from the same level of consciousness that created it. -Einstein

Comment

I don't like pie. I'm more a cake and cookies kind of girl
      Tuesday is soylent green day

Comment

Originally posted by Night View Post
        I don't like pie. I'm more a cake and cookies kind of girl
        What about Boston cream pie? That's where my pastry cream recipe comes from.

Comment

Originally posted by Harlequin View Post

What about Boston cream pie? That's where my pastry cream recipe comes from.

Sorry sweetheart. I don't do "milky" stuff.

Comment

Harlequin , are you happily married? Have you ever considered an older man?

I think I will the coconut pie this weekend. It sounds pretty easy
            Give a man a match, & he'll be warm for 20 seconds. But toss that man a white phosphorus grenade and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Comment

Blade, do you have to hit on every girl here?! Have a little respect man! I for one am glad that we now have a dedicated pie section.

....Harley...do you take requests? Cause I'd really like to see your pretty toes dipped in a coconut cream pie....

Originally posted by bladesmith View Post
              Harlequin , are you happily married? Have you ever considered an older man?

I think I will the coconut pie this weekend. It sounds pretty easy
              "L E X - T A L I O N I S"

Comment

You do now.

Originally posted by Night View Post

Sorry sweetheart. I don't do "milky" stuff.

Comment

Pumpkin pie recipes? Not the normal stuff, but something with some pizzazz!

Originally posted by Harlequin View Post
                  If anyone wants the real deal, no hurry coconut cream pie, I can post my pastry cream recipe. It's yummy but I save it for a Sunday when I have time to mess with it.

Comment

There are so many beautiful women here. I'll try to keep behave in the future and only flirt with the ones who have sent pictures
                    Give a man a match, & he'll be warm for 20 seconds. But toss that man a white phosphorus grenade and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Comment

My dear old neighbor was a wonderful cook and would make me the best pecan pies

I would always check in on her on my way home and help her with some yard work and she would remember me when she was baking and in her prayers

Comment

Don't mind Night. She only eats popcorn.

And chicken nugget TV dinners.
                        Last edited by gamgee; 11-12-2015, 06:59 PM.
                        I don't know.

Comment

My Grandmother had pies and cakes that she would make for certain holidays and events because her Mother did the same

Her Thanksgiving lemon pies were a family favorite

Comment

Originally posted by gamgee View Post
                            Don't mind Night. She only eats popcorn.

And chicken nugget TV dinners.
                            Popcorn, yes. Chicken nuggets, no.

Comment

Don't they have popcorn chicken nuggets??

Comment

Working...
                              X