Comment

Cheesy tots! I love it!

Comment

Originally posted by Radio View Post
          I got 80 lbs. of Potatoes on sale.
          How much did they cost?

------------

Comment

Great price. 11 cents a pound. Best I can get right now is 20 cents a pound.
            ------------

Comment

It's less than 9 cents a pound.
              No it isn't. My number was right. It's 11.25 cents per pound to be precise.
              ------------

Comment

Why did you correct me then?

And you just switched the numerator and denominator and got 8.88 instead of 11.25. No big deal.
                ------------

Comment

I only read half of that because whatever dude. I asked you how much the 80 pounds of spuds were, you said 9 bucks and I said 11 cents a pound was a good deal. Then weirdness ensued. Keep your weird to the other thread. Sorry I said you got a good deal.
                  ------------

Comment

My avatar ain't as badass as I wanted, but, whatever. How to start a new topic? Radio, help[.

Comment

And we all fit in and belong.
                      https://csagovernment.org/index.html

http://deovindice.org/

http://dixienet.org/

http://leagueofthesouth.com/

Comment

I take taters. Cube them. About half a inch pieces. Dip em in egg. Roll em in flour. Fry em. Then take a put em a pan. Shredded cheese on em. With bacon pieces. Bake until done. Then smother it with a shallow layer of sour cream.

Oh yea.
                        A day may come when the courage of men fails, when we forsake our friends and break all bonds of fellowship, but it is not this day. An hour of wolves and shattered shields, when the age of men comes crashing down! But it is not this day! This day we fight! By all that you hold dear on this good Earth, I bid you stand, Men of the West!

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...db54dcd316.jpg

Comment

After I skin them, I pulse them in the processor until their fine (or sort of tater tot looking, lol). Then I squeeze all the water out of it. I add flour, onion powder, garlic powder, lemon pepper, and some salt. I either use a 1" to 2" squeeze handle disher (Depending on what I want them for) mash them against my palm, and drop them in the fryer. The smaller tots I use for anything with fried fish to burgers. The larger ones I put on top of a tater tot casserole. But, the kids usually go through them pretty quick as an after school snack with some ranch or whatnot. That's why I make 3-400 at a time.

I just started with the pressure canning thing, though. We heard that it's best to can the potatoes that way. Next month we are gonna do some bulk chili. I hope it turns out better than last time I tried to. Didn't have a pressure canner then. 13 jars completely wasted.
                          I have gone through the pressure canner with all sorts and have finally come up with only doing it for meat, and i don't flavour the meat. it takes so much flavour, the processing kills so much of it, that it's cheaper and easier just to do mince solo, chicken solo, and then make the meal around them when I open the can.

So I fry my mince first, it is pounded into a solid object in any case by the pressure it's under, and I don't know how hard it would be to separate if I didn't fry it first. I then add a tsp of beef stock and cover with water to 1 inch below rim, and I use pint jars because they're quicker. I have tried mince without water; it's too dry. Just water - seems bland.

I don't generally process potatoes simply because I can store them till next crop, if they're dry. People say 'cold with reasonable humidity'. I find warm even, provided dry, will allow them to last better. For me at any rate. Because of the pulverising effect of the canner, veges and fruit are mutilated so anything high acid I still go with stovetop/overflow.

I would say I've noticed with my canner that if you leave it at boiling for about 10 mins before you put the jiggler on, it will get to temperature faster and you can start timing easier. Time at pressure creates the pulverisation so I try to make it count.

As to chicken: I don't touch chicken breast any more. Just thighs, which I will add into stews and soups. Breasts turn out like cardboard. If you can do 'em better tell me how.

Comment

When I can chicken, the broth doesn't always cover the chicken, and it's fine. I've never canned potatoes.
                            I don't know.

Comment

Is it ok that the potatoes are not completely in water as long as the jar seals?
                              You put potatoes in the jar and then pour in the water. the water has to be no higher than 1/2 inch below the rim of a pint jar, and 1 inch with a quart jar.

After processing, you will have lost some water. Also, as the jar cools everything shrinks. The empty space at the top of the jar, an actual vacuum, increases. So the water may not come up as high in the jar any more.

It's good to remember that that empty space is not air: it's vacuum. it's clean, it's entirely sterile. It's absolutely fine.

Comment

Are you gonna follow me all over the board and troll each and every post I make? Is that your plan? This section as well as this thread has nothing to do with trolling. .

Aside from the occasional jab at each other in other topics up top, keep the troll bullshit to the thread UnderTheStars created for us. . Don't be a dick. .

Chill radio.

Steve's Canadian -- they don't talk or think like we do

Make a thread about the greenhouse.

Last year, I didn't get tomatoes until almost September and no potatoes whatsoever. I hope this year isn't like last year

Tuesday is soylent green day

Comment

Working...
                                X