Let's talk bats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Let's talk bats

Anyone have them? Anyone make a bat house to attract them?

This is my goal for this weekend -- to build a bat house. One bat can eat 1000 mosquitos an evening. A colony of 12 can eat 10 million (which is the number of mosquitos I have in my yard).

A lady at work lives about 14 miles from me and she has bats in her trees, so I know they're around in my area.

Talk to me about bats!
    Tuesday is soylent green day

http://www.eparks.org/pdf/batbox.pdf

http://www.batcon.org/pdfs/bathouses...seCriteria.pdf

Let’s Go Brandon!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Night View Post
      Anyone have them? Anyone make a bat house to attract them?

This is my goal for this weekend -- to build a bat house. One bat can eat 1000 mosquitos an evening. A colony of 12 can eat 10 million (which is the number of mosquitos I have in my yard).

A lady at work lives about 14 miles from me and she has bats in her trees, so I know they're around in my area.

Talk to me about bats!
      I've been thinking of building one for years. Maybe I'll do it, too!
      I don't know.

Comment

I hope the bats don't get zika from the skeeters. It could cause them to produce pinhead bats that have a taste for blood. Then they come in the house at night...

Comment

I got plans from my Conservation Office for the box and in my area, it needs to be mounted on a pole. I hope I don't end up with slutty pole dancing bats

Comment

In all seriousness about the Zika........ I was allowed to sit in on a presentation to the response teams.

The only two species of mosquito that are carriers are the Aedis Egypti and the Aedis something else... (i forget)

They are both daytime biters, so bats won't affect them at all. Most mosquitoes are active at night, but not these two species.

Also of note, these two breeds lay their eggs on hard containers above the water line. So ditches full of water don't matter, but bowls or bird baths do. Also bromeliads and cut bamboo offer natural hard sided containers, so make sure you don't have water standing in those, and if you do spray a larvacide type spray to kill them.
            Let’s Go Brandon!!!!!

Comment

It's not so much about Zika. . . I probably already have West Nile by now, what's a little Zika added to the mix? It's just the 20+ mosquito bites I get each night just walking to the mailbox. Off, Cutters and other shit no longer works on me.

Don't send me any crazy ass Internet "recipes" for mosquito repellants. I've tried them all. Even wearing long sleeves and long pants doesn't help. They either bite me through my clothes or they bite my hands and face. God damn little fuckers!

Comment

Our skeeters come out night and day, but we could have a few varieties. They like the gutters. We have a ton of bats in our firs and a ton of swallows, eating the bugs from the mown fields. As soon as the swallows tuck in the bats come out.

Comment

The lady at work has bat guano around the base of her trees. I actually googled to see what it looks like -- LMAO!!

I don't know. Kinda looks like cat shit to me -- like the cat that keeps shitting in my garden

Comment

We had one of these and they work AMAZINGLY WELL. You have to fill up the propane now and then, but it lasts a long time.

They run from $300 - $400 or so. But once you by it, you own it other than refilling the propane. So it is sort of a one time deal.

Let’s Go Brandon!!!!!

Comment

What is that Mayaca? A sprayer? Chemicals?

I am totally organic. My bees would die

Comment

What is that Mayaca? A sprayer? Chemicals?

I am totally organic. My bees would die
                        No it is neither!!! It is a trap that captures the mosquitoes and it works like a fucking champ.

The propane is used to draw them in from the smell or something. It has a fan and a basket with a fine mesh. So when they enter the machine, the fan blows them in to the basket and they can't get out. They die in the trap.

It will remove some amazing number like 99% of the mosquitoes from a 2 acre block or something.

They sell them at Lowes and Home Depot. Go by and check them out and let the experts explain it better.
                        Let’s Go Brandon!!!!!

Comment

Don't send me any crazy ass Internet "recipes" for mosquito repellants. I've tried them all. Even wearing long sleeves and long pants doesn't help. They either bite me through my clothes or they bite my hands and face. God damn little fuckers!
                          Get really really drunk, then go outside, the mosquitoes will bite you, get drunk off your BAC return to their wife and kids and friends beligerant, lose all respect from family and friends, and never have the ability to reproduce again.

Don't​​​ think it'll work? Ask Radio.

Boom...roasted.

P.S. If it fails to work, at least you probably got a good story from being white girl wasted.
                          ​​​​​​
                          Textually Active

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Woods Devil View Post
                              low cost diy mosquito trap

He said that his fan had been on for a couple days. You should see the thousands I got from the propane one each morning.

I am going to purchase another one. So worth it.

Let’s Go Brandon!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X