Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cool App for those who like technology

PDF maps by Avenza

I have written about it before, but not here.

This is a mapping program that works like a GPS also. So you can import any GIS embedded map and it will show you on it as you travel. You can also pin locations and add photos to the pin. When you click on the pin it opens the file with the photos.

I use it for work, and when we go to a new area they will put a QR code up for us to scan. That will trigger the download.

But you can download all kinds of maps, many for free.

I use it at home when I take people down the river kayaking. My good camp sites are pinned as are some sites for wild edibles and medicinal herbs.

When the app was young and they were only on I-phones I emailed the creator and told him about us using it at my job. He was so excited that he made me a beta tester for the droid version. It was glitchy, but he responded immediately to any comments and now it is used by hundreds and thousands of people out in the wilderness and during all kinds of emergencies and disaster responses.

***note- the USGS has free topo maps available almost anywhere.
    Let’s Go Brandon!!!!!

Cool.

Comment

Sounds neat.

I don't use maps, or GPS. But if I did, I would use that.
      It's not the size of the dog, in the fight. It's the size of the fight, in the dog.

No guts, no glory. All pain, and fury.

Comment

I didn't understand much of what you said, but it sounds like it would be pretty cool for people that understand that type of thing.
        I don't know.

Comment

I rarely use my compass, I have a really good sense of direction. I'm not sure why that is.

I was thinking of doing some geocaching excercises. So maybe I'll look at some GPS units.

I have to teach my woman how to use a compass though, I think I showed her once.
          It's not the size of the dog, in the fight. It's the size of the fight, in the dog.

Comment

Originally posted by Mayaca View Post
            PDF maps by Avenza

I have written about it before, but not here.

This is a mapping program that works like a GPS also. So you can import any GIS embedded map and it will show you on it as you travel. You can also pin locations and add photos to the pin. When you click on the pin it opens the file with the photos.

I use it for work, and when we go to a new area they will put a QR code up for us to scan. That will trigger the download.

But you can download all kinds of maps, many for free.

I use it at home when I take people down the river kayaking. My good camp sites are pinned as are some sites for wild edibles and medicinal herbs.

When the app was young and they were only on I-phones I emailed the creator and told him about us using it at my job. He was so excited that he made me a beta tester for the droid version. It was glitchy, but he responded immediately to any comments and now it is used by hundreds and thousands of people out in the wilderness and during all kinds of emergencies and disaster responses.

***note- the USGS has free topo maps available almost anywhere.
            In the performance of your official duties, are you relying on lat-long, UTM, or MGRS? Is the USFS using ARC-GIS? I experimented with a student version. Excellent tool for the technically assured. Alas, beyond my scope

Comment

Yes to arcgis,. Different regions and cooperators using lat long, and utm.
              Even STR. I believe FEMA has mandated that by a certain date we will ALL be using UTM.
              Let’s Go Brandon!!!!!

Comment

Yes to arcgis,. Different regions and cooperators using lat long, and utm.
                Even STR. I believe FEMA has mandated that by a certain date we will ALL be using UTM.
                Why?

Comment

Originally posted by HeavyHauler View Post

Why?
                  Interoperability. When I respond to California, I go in and get briefed and they are speaking in one language (map wise), then I go to Utah, and maybe they are using something else. I think there is a plan to standardize us to all use the same system. Not sure though, just something I think I remember hearing.
                  Let’s Go Brandon!!!!!

Comment

Interoperability. When I respond to California, I go in and get briefed and they are speaking in one language (map wise), then I go to Utah, and maybe they are using something else. I think there is a plan to standardize us to all use the same system. Not sure though, just something I think I remember hearing.
                    So some NWO/one world currency type of shit, but map shit wise. Is that what you're telling me?

Comment

Sure
                      Let’s Go Brandon!!!!!

Comment

HeavyHauler Lat/long has been the world standard for hundreds of years because it was the first system. I prefer a 10 digit grid in MGRS with a 1:50k map. I might suggest you teach the future bride to read a paper map and how to orient it. Terrain feature recognition based up map depiction with vertical scale is important. Too many cannot look at a map and spot the difference between a draw and a spur. Ask them to point out the saddle and their head spins akin to a scene from The Exorcist.
                        Last edited by T Ord; 09-15-2016, 09:23 AM. Reason: voice to text is ratchet

Comment

Working...
                        X