ConsideringHunting Land Purchase

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ConsideringHunting Land Purchase

I'm strongly considering chucking my hunting leases when renewal comes around and purchasing a small hardwood plot in the same county. Here's the deal, for the same amount of money I pay in lease fees, I can purchase land and have it paid for in less than 10 years. Here's a description of what I'm looking at:

30 acres of hardwoods surrounded by other hardwood areas. No homes in the area, dirt roads, and if I remember correctly there are no power lines in the area.
    The North side is privately owned mature hardwoods - think lots of mast for the deer.
    The east side of the property is a national park. No hunting on the park, but whatever I draw over with greenfields and orchards will be "mine".
    West side of property is private owned lowlands with hardwoods. 673 yards due west from the edge of my property, this becomes a national forest
    South of my property is privately owned mature hardwoods. 100 yards from my line is a 10 acre lake.

Pros of the purchase are it will be mine for the same amount of money and I will be hunting hardwoods instead of pine plantations.
    Cons are it is so small compared to areas I normally hunt. My base lease for this year will be 700 acres with up to an additional 1,000 if I decide to team with other guys

What a tough decision
    Give a man a match, & he'll be warm for 20 seconds. But toss that man a white phosphorus grenade and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

I say go for it and plant snow peas to lure them in.
    https://csagovernment.org/index.html

http://deovindice.org/

http://dixienet.org/

http://leagueofthesouth.com/

Comment

I might go extra bold and have a total 10 acres of green fields. Peas are deer candy and will definitely be in my winter field rotations. For summer into fall, I'm thinking about grain sorghum with cow peas. I'm also going to plant pear and peaches in large plots with clover under the trees. Planting a quality white clover means I only need to reseed every 5 to 7 years. I think the addition of soft mast (fruit) into the area should be a big draw but it is such a short window. I know the clover will help keep them there. Goal will be to manage the herd in the area. See how large I can grow bucks and only take them at the 4+ year range or culls. As for does, only take what is needed to maintain herd/habitat balance. I'm so tired on telling others how to grow big deer and then see their clubs shoot anything brown.

If it wasn't for Addie and worries about my daddy's health (he has 2 more weeks in physical rehab unit), I could live off grid in a hunting shack. I'd sit under my shade tree in the evening and watch the does with the fawns.
      Give a man a match, & he'll be warm for 20 seconds. But toss that man a white phosphorus grenade and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Comment

duh....

that's a no brainer.........

my land oar theirs...........

Comment

Take some pics of the does and fawns for us.
          No doubt exists that all women are crazy; it's only a question of degree.

Comment

I found some great property in Wisconsin. Cheap and heavily wooded. Great bol. When I get out of prison, I am moving there.

Oh yeah...I'm in prison.

Comment

TheRabbit Do you need a rock hammer to chisel your own chess set? Tell Red I said "hi".

Comment

No, I get out in April.

Comment

Originally posted by Radio View Post
                  What's the asking price?
                  $33,000. Cheap for Mississippi land, but that is because it isn't suitable for farming and no development of utilities in area. I'll try to post some of the photos later.

Comment

I'd buy the land, fuck leasing.
                    It's not the size of the dog, in the fight. It's the size of the fight, in the dog.

No guts, no glory. All pain, and fury.

Comment

Well you can't sit on the fence to long I guess. I see the property is marked under contract. I've been looking at it less than a week. crap

Comment

Keep looking.
                        It's not the size of the dog, in the fight. It's the size of the fight, in the dog.

No guts, no glory. All pain, and fury.

Comment

Working...
                        X