oxalis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

oxalis

Dear God, what do I do about the oxalis?

Does anyone have a sure fire cure? it looks like I have buttercup here too, as well as morning glory.

It's the beginning of winter, so I have till spring to figure this lot out.

Where is it Winter?

Oh and Oxalis and any other broadleaf plant , as well as morning glory... it's called 2,4-D I buy it as Weedar 64.

It will kill any broadleaf plant but not the grass, nice if you want to keep the grass cover.

Oh and it was half of the chemical known as agent orange.

It works I use it, as well as Glyphosate or Roundup.

Rancher

Comment

Originally posted by azrancher View Post
      Where is it Winter?

Oh and Oxalis and any other broadleaf plant , as well as morning glory... it's called 2,4-D I buy it as Weedar 64.

It will kill any broadleaf plant but not the grass, nice if you want to keep the grass cover.

Rancher
      Thanks rancher!
      I am in New Zealand, southern hemisphere so opposite time of year to you lot. I've just bought a property in Lower Hutt, near Wellington, and banged into the bulbil type of oxalis for the first time in thirty years.

The oxalis and buttercup look to be in the vege patch as well as flower beds and general lawn, and I'm wondering if I'm just going to have to embrace them as high powered green compost creators (rather like the chick weed at my last place) and/or see if getting some chooks would kill it. If I look up organic ideas I get told the process of starving it to death takes 2 yrs and will involve a lasagne garden.

Is oxalis poisonous?

Comment

I've never had oxalis. I just mulch a lot and pull the stuff that comes through. Sometimes I'll use a hoe.
        We have broadleaf dock here. I'll use a spading fork for that when it pops up.
        I don't know.

Comment

Liquid chelated iron works fine on most oxalis varieties.
          They hate an overload of iron.
          D├ępenser de l'argent et aimer votre miel

Comment

If ya use 2-4-d, dUnt dew it aront grapes...like no where near.......like it'll take out a vineyard in a instant......
            "Virtute et armis"

Girls play with dolls. Men play with dead animals

https://www.uso.org

Islam is right about women

sde: Because it was trolling and by damn God, that's what we fucking do here. Always have, always will

#learn2code

Epstein didn't kill himself & neither did Qassem Soleimani

Eric Ciaramella is the whistle blower

Comment

Originally posted by azrancher View Post
              Where is it Winter?

Rancher

Those chemicals you mentioned could leach into your food. Do you really want to risk that?
              Just get a hoe or a digger and burn some calories
              Tuesday is soylent green day

Comment

Originally posted by Absolutely! View Post

Is oxalis poisonous?

NO, IT IS DELISH!!!!

Oxalis, better known as Wood Sorrel is one of my FAVORITE wild edibles. Yes, it has oxalic acid, so you don't want to make a complete meal of it. But as a tart add on to a salad it is yummy.

It is also the very best source for high vitamin C green tea you will ever find. Boil water, then take it off the heat. drop in a handful of leaves and stems and flowers. Let it steep. strain and drink. It will be a good green tea with a citrus tang.

We have two native wood sorrels here. I love them.
                Go Space Force!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Necio View Post
                  Liquid chelated iron works fine on most oxalis varieties.
                  They hate an overload of iron.
                  Thank you, that is tremendous. I will buy some.

Originally posted by Night View Post

Those chemicals you mentioned could leach into your food. Do you really want to risk that?
                  Just get a hoe or a digger and burn some calories
                  Unfortunately you can't hoe oxalis. the bulbils are tiny, beyond tiny they can be a millimetre across. They send out a shoot, which breaks very easily. They spread undergound with underground runners, all of which break very easily. To hoe them is to propagate them.

I remember mum sieving a garden once when I was a child. Every spare inch of that rose garden was covered in oxalis, so she went along the garden sieving them. It didn't work of course.

Originally posted by Mayaca View Post

NO, IT IS DELISH!!!!

Oxalis, better known as Wood Sorrel is one of my FAVORITE wild edibles. Yes, it has oxalic acid, so you don't want to make a complete meal of it. But as a tart add on to a salad it is yummy.

It is also the very best source for high vitamin C green tea you will ever find. Boil water, then take it off the heat. drop in a handful of leaves and stems and flowers. Let it steep. strain and drink. It will be a good green tea with a citrus tang.

We have two native wood sorrels here. I love them.
                  We have a breed of oxalis here we call yams, but these plants have a tiny little bulb for a root. I have googled wood sorrell, and I am not sure it's the same plant. I can't seem to find a picture of this oxalis but it has pink flowers that shut at night, quite clover-like leaves (large though), and the tiny white bulbs.

Comment

http://plants.usda.gov/java/nameSearch

Search Oxalis you will get the whole group. there are several.

I cannot guarantee that all wood sorrels are the same. The two I have near me in Florida are Yellow Wood Sorrel ( Oxalis corniculata ) and a bigger variety I think is West Indian Wood Sorrel ( Oxalis intermedia )

Both are edible. * there are actually 4 in Florida, but I routinely find these 2

You know a Wood Sorrel because it is like a clover, only the leaves are heart shaped. They are usually grouped in threes. So 3 hearts in a circle around the stem.

Here is a write-up about them:

http://www.eattheweeds.com/oxalis-ho...-your-sorrels/

These are good to eat!!! If you don't read anything else, please read the article above on eattheweeds.

Go Space Force!!!

Comment

http://plants.usda.gov/java/nameSearch

Search Oxalis you will get the whole group. there are several.

I cannot guarantee that all wood sorrels are the same. The two I have near me in Florida are Yellow Wood Sorrel ( Oxalis corniculata ) and a bigger variety I think is West Indian Wood Sorrel ( Oxalis intermedia )

Both are edible. * there are actually 4 in Florida, but I routinely find these 2

You know a Wood Sorrel because it is like a clover, only the leaves are heart shaped. They are usually grouped in threes. So 3 hearts in a circle around the stem.

Here is a write-up about them:

http://www.eattheweeds.com/oxalis-ho...-your-sorrels/

These are good to eat!!! If you don't read anything else, please read the article above on eattheweeds.

I tried going on eattheweeds the other day. It said it was suspended; same thing with your link.
                      I don't know.

Comment

Originally posted by gamgee View Post

I tried going on eattheweeds the other day. It said it was suspended; same thing with your link.
                        I just checked it and it works for me.
                        https://csagovernment.org/index.html

http://deovindice.org/

http://dixienet.org/

http://leagueofthesouth.com/

Comment

Originally posted by dudeman View Post

I just checked it and it works for me.

Maybe it's my phone.

I thought oxalis was something different. I have wood sorrel with the yellow flowers. It's not a big problem; I just pull them out when I see them.
                          Sheep sorrel is much worse.
                          I don't know.

Comment

Originally posted by gamgee View Post

Maybe it's my phone.

I thought oxalis was something different. I have wood sorrel with the yellow flowers. It's not a big problem; I just pull them out when I see them.
                            Sheep sorrel is much worse.

OMG! Sheep Sorrel is edible (tastes bads LOL) but more importantly, it is also Medicinal!

Here is the rule!!! EVERY RUMEX is GOOD!!!! some to eat, some to treat wounds.

http://www.eattheweeds.com/rumex-ruminations/

You guys talk about being survivalist and then go weed out your natural pantry and medicine cabinet because you were always "told" those were weeds..... smh

***I tried the link once earlier and it failed. Tried it again in 5 minutes and it worked....
                            Go Space Force!!!

Comment

OMG! Sheep Sorrel is edible (tastes bads LOL) but more importantly, it is also Medicinal!

Here is the rule!!! EVERY RUMEX is GOOD!!!! some to eat, some to treat wounds.

http://www.eattheweeds.com/rumex-ruminations/

You guys talk about being survivalist and then go weed out your natural pantry and medicine cabinet because you were always "told" those were weeds..... smh

***I tried the link once earlier and it failed. Tried it again in 5 minutes and it worked....
                              Stop guessing what I mean!

I can pull something from where I don't want it, and still have plenty.

Your link still doesn't work for me. Maybe he's out of business.
                              I don't know.

Comment

Working...
                              X