My next rifle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My next rifle

I am considering 3 choices. I already have most aspects covered.

But I could improve my long range ability by getting a Mossberg MVP in 308. This will run about $600.
    I could also improve my home defense by getting the gen 3 UTAS UTS-15 Hunter camo Runs about $950

Or.... I could get something that would hit hard and still reach out far enough that the limit would be my aim not the rifle's accuracy................. The Beowulf 50 Caliber on the AR platform. This can run from $1500 to ??? depending on whether I build it or buy someone's creation.
    (I have shot this rifle..... wow.)

I would be happy to listen to opinions from anyone with a real firearm interest.
    Go Space Force!!!

Ruger .22 will take down any game in North America. All about shot placement. Swear to Gawd.
    This sig didn't cost me any money.

Comment

Originally posted by duke nukem View Post
      Ruger .22 will take down any game in North America. All about shot placement. Swear to Gawd.
      That is true. But if you had a grizzly bearing down on you (see what I did there?) would you rather have the 22 or some thing a little larger?

I did say that each of these would "improve" certain aspects. No doubt I could manage with what I have.

*BTW it is illegal to hunt a lot of game with rimfire down here.
      Go Space Force!!!

Comment

50 Cal is too expensive and really pointless unless you are going full auto. Home defense with a rifle?
        Go with the 308. It's a solid big game round with a relatively flat trajectory that can reach out and touch anything you want at some pretty extreme yardage.

Comment

What is the role for the firearm?

SHTF Sniper? Nope
          Grizzly defense? Nope
          Fun? AR
          Hunting? AR (to 150yds) or 308

I've owned the MVP. Great target gun but too heavy for hunting IMHO.

Save money, apply for an SBR stamp, have fun, panic less.
          Textually Active

Comment

.308 is your round.

I I would pass on the mossberg. Great shot guns. There rifles leave a little to be desired.

If had experience with the Beowulf. Its nice but really low capacity. And not that much gain from ballistics.

I would get an AR10 if I were you in .308 from DPMS the g2.
            A day may come when the courage of men fails, when we forsake our friends and break all bonds of fellowship, but it is not this day. An hour of wolves and shattered shields, when the age of men comes crashing down! But it is not this day! This day we fight! By all that you hold dear on this good Earth, I bid you stand, Men of the West!

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...db54dcd316.jpg

Comment

For a .308 a Remington 700 is a good choice. I have one in 30-06 and its a nice gun

Comment

Originally posted by bowclan View Post
                For a .308 a Remington 700 is a good choice. I have one in 30-06 and its a nice gun
                For a bolt gun they are good. However there has been some problems I heard from newer ones.

Savage also makes a damn fine rifle.
                A day may come when the courage of men fails, when we forsake our friends and break all bonds of fellowship, but it is not this day. An hour of wolves and shattered shields, when the age of men comes crashing down! But it is not this day! This day we fight! By all that you hold dear on this good Earth, I bid you stand, Men of the West!

Comment

Originally posted by mattmuttsmith View Post

For a bolt gun they are good. However there has been some problems I heard from newer ones.

Savage also makes a damn fine rifle.
                  I have a model 99 .300 Savage, older than me by a long ways. Love that gun.

Comment

What will your main purpose be for your rifle?
                    Hunting?
                    Plinking?
                    Home Defense?
                    All of the above?
                    ~" If you suck ass long enough, pretty soon you start choking on shit."~

Comment

Originally posted by Tactical Knightmare View Post

What will your main purpose be for your rifle?
                      Hunting?
                      Plinking?
                      Home Defense?
                      All of the above?
                      Tact Crow you don't own a gun so we don't need your 2 cents K.

Comment

Shit... He posted his home defense "kommie-fornia" approved weapon....
                        Go Space Force!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Mayaca View Post
                          Shit... He posted his home defense "kommie-fornia" approved weapon....
                          Is it People's Republic of California approved because it can be used to smoke dope?

Comment

Pop you in the eye with that bitch !
                            ~" If you suck ass long enough, pretty soon you start choking on shit."~

Comment

Originally posted by Tactical Knightmare View Post
                              Pop you in the eye with that bitch !
                              I heard that is what you tell females pre coitus.

lol

Comment

Working...
                              X