Urban survival knife/ tool

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Urban survival knife/ tool

A while ago I was looking for a SHTF, teotwawki, all gone to shit, end of the world, post apocalyptic, urban survival tool............ quite a mouthful isn't it?

Reading various articles by various "experts" (ever noticed every doughnut with a keyboard and his dog is an expert on the internet?) the westernized tanto and chisel tips seemed to be the most popular, so I decided to go shopping. I didn't want to spend much initially on a trial project but I wanted good quality for the money I was willing to spend............if anyone says "you get what you pay for" I swear to Gods I'll go medieval on yo ass

So good quality budget Chisel and Westernized Tanto..............

Cold Steel Gi Tanto, I saw the destruction vids on this and watched various people use this as a base for some serious modifications and was really impressed for the money.

I had to remove the rear guard for utility use and a portion of the handle plastic around the lanyard hole to create a glass breaker

Bahco Wrecking Knife: Great reviews.

I've used both these knives for various tasks, dismantled a divan bed for making raised beds, taken apart an old chicken coup and other assorted odd jobs and they are both REALLY tough solid good bang for the buck knives................BUT and this is a big BUT what I found I missed when using these knives was belly.
    Neither knife has a belly which made certain, certainly my most required cutting tasks somewhat problematic I first noticed the problem when cutting toilet roll tubes in half for planting back in the spring:

Only allowed 4 pics.....................

continued...............

Throwing my Jack Pyke Multi-Tool into the mix is sort of a fix for the lack of belly as both it's blades have it and an urban environment is the only time I've found a pliers based multi-tool useful (The Jack Pyke is a beast with some very useful tools again at a budget price.

There are several things to be learned from my little experiment.

You don't have to spend a lot to get a lot: Both these knives are beasts and didn't cost a lot.

Don't believe the hype: Don't buy into what so call "experts" are selling as gospel.

Don't be afraid to experiment but don't put all your eggs in one basket: it would have been easy to spend £100+ on a knife I'd ultimately have little use for.

There are more but the fires warm, beers cold and weather miserable.

Comment

You get that for which you pay.
      I don't know.

Comment

Originally posted by gamgee View Post
        You get that for which you pay.

Why, yes......yes you do, you mostly certainly get that for which you pay .................. but what you get isn't always worth what you pay and sometimes you get much more (as in better value) than you actually shellout for.

Now fuck off with your stupid fucking dizzy twatbag Meerkat cockjockey and shit a fucking brick dipshit..........not a normal house brick, nooooooo nothing so easy for you cunt chops, I want you to shit a fucking breeze block asshole.

I've had an awesome day, fuck Christmas

Comment

Originally posted by Smudge View Post

Why, yes......yes you do, you mostly certainly get that for which you pay .................. but what you get isn't always worth what you pay and sometimes you get much more (as in better value) than you actually shellout for.

Now fuck off with your stupid fucking dizzy twatbag Meerkat cockjockey and shit a fucking brick dipshit..........not a normal house brick, nooooooo nothing so easy for you cunt chops, I want you to shit a fucking breeze block asshole.

I've had an awesome day, fuck Christmas

What do you plan on using the chisel for?
          Last edited by gamgee; 11-28-2015, 01:32 PM.
          I don't know.

Comment

What's the dog got to do with being an "expert"?

You need a big knife, little knife and a multi-tool.
            There is no one perfect tool.
            Bigger the Government, the smaller the Citizen.

Comment

Originally posted by Smudge View Post

You left out shit slinging monkey...

Comment

What do you plan on using the chisel for?

That's the thing I didn't think it through

The chisel edge? tip? is useful for hammering between a door and frame for levering open but honestly the design is pretty useless for everyday practical use. Apparently the internet experts hadn't figured that out before recommending the design for me it's useful for tackling pallets and taking them apart with minimal damage to the wood which is always useful for projects but as a survival tool the design is lacking.

Comment

Neither of you are being particularly medieval.
                  I don't know.

Comment

Neither of you are being particularly medieval.

Sorry I'll try harder tomorrow I'm in far too much of a good mood.

Comment

Chisels are good for removing Splinters.

Comment

Better than the CS G.I. Tanto is the CS Shovel. You can breach a door in half the time, kill your enemy behind that door, dig a hole to bury your enemy, then stick the shovel into the fresh dirt and pop a beer top off the end of the handle.

Best of all the shovel is innocent looking to the general public. Plus it is modeled as an exact replica of the Russian Spetnaz version giving to some badass appeal.

Take special notice of 0:32 and 1:07
                        Last edited by Harry Henderson; 11-28-2015, 06:13 PM.
                        Textually Active

Comment

Chisels are a great tool for specific tasks, but the only survival task I can imaging wishing I had one for would be notching logs for a cabin. A good framing chisel would come in handy for that.

For prying doors or windows, I'd say a pry bar would be best.

I think a multi-tool would be the most useful small tool to carry.
                          I don't know.

Comment

Smudge, when you refer to the "belly" of the knife, I am lost. I think you are talking about what we call the "Blood Groove". But am not sure.

Can you clarify this so I can rest easy for the rest of the weekend, nice write up btw.
                            ~" If you suck ass long enough, pretty soon you start choking on shit."~

Comment

It's the part of the edge that curves to the tip.
                              I don't know.

Comment

Working...
                              X