Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Book Chat

HeavyHauler

Have you read the Silo series by Hugh Howey? I think you'd like them. Read them in order though or you'll get really lost

I'm also reading a book called Pure by Julianna Baggott that, so far, is very good. A different take on the end of the world/nuke/survivor theme.

-- and I now see it's a trilogy. Fuck. I didn't know that. But I got it from the library so at least it's free
    Tuesday is soylent green day

I've read thousands of books in my time, there are very few I read twice.

https://www.amazon.com/Gypsy-earth-D.../dp/0385173326
    ------------

Comment

The first series I read were the original Conan works by Robert Howard. Other authors tried to continue the saga but just couldn't do justice to Howard. I read several sci-fi series including Dune but the Well of Souls series was one of the best. I also read a lot of Michael Chrighton's work but damn he spends a lot of time on tech stuff. Stephen King was a regular but he got so predictable that I lost interest. Robert Ludlum's Jason Bourne books were hard to put down. Too bad the movies didn't follow the books very well. The latest I've read has been the work of Clive Cussler. I've read most of his adventure books and I like the way he jumps back and forth through history for the story lines. BTW arguably he located the Civil War submarine HL Hunley which eventually led to it's recovery.
      Screw diplomacy...........bring it!

Comment

I read a lot of technical manuals.

this ones pretty good.

http://www.trane.com/commercial/uplo...20complete.pdf
        Bigger the Government, the smaller the Citizen.

Comment

Originally posted by Night View Post
          HeavyHauler

Have you read the Silo series by Hugh Howey? I think you'd like them. Read them in order though or you'll get really lost

I'm also reading a book called Pure by Julianna Baggott that, so far, is very good. A different take on the end of the world/nuke/survivor theme.

-- and I now see it's a trilogy. Fuck. I didn't know that. But I got it from the library so at least it's free
          No, I've never heard of it. I'll have to look it up.

Never heard of that one either, sounds interesting.

Yeah, they sneak up on you and then jump out from the corner at you. I always get surprised when I read Book 1 of something and later find that there is another 12+ books in the series. I always think I'm discovering something new in a book store.

And you're supposed to bring the books back, Night ! It's not a free book store!

Originally posted by Steve28 View Post
          I've read thousands of books in my time, there are very few I read twice.

https://www.amazon.com/Gypsy-earth-D.../dp/0385173326
          I've probably read 5x the amount of books that you have, and read em each way more than you. Just stating, not bragging. I own over 2,000 books; all of them read at least twice, most of them 5 times and a couple 10+ times. Why don't you reread books?

I need to buy some more books, I was having a conversation last night with someone about books and I told him some of my favorite reading.

Originally posted by rokitman View Post
          The first series I read were the original Conan works by Robert Howard. Other authors tried to continue the saga but just couldn't do justice to Howard. I read several sci-fi series including Dune but the Well of Souls series was one of the best. I also read a lot of Michael Chrighton's work but damn he spends a lot of time on tech stuff. Stephen King was a regular but he got so predictable that I lost interest. Robert Ludlum's Jason Bourne books were hard to put down. Too bad the movies didn't follow the books very well. The latest I've read has been the work of Clive Cussler. I've read most of his adventure books and I like the way he jumps back and forth through history for the story lines. BTW arguably he located the Civil War submarine HL Hunley which eventually led to it's recovery.
          I like the Conan series, although I only have a few. Gotta buy em as I find em. Dune was an excellent book, the series that followed? Not so much, but I haven't read them all. I've read Dune about 4 times now, really like it.

Clive Cussler, might have some stuff that I might enjoy.

It's not the size of the dog, in the fight. It's the size of the fight, in the dog.

No guts, no glory. All pain, and fury.

Comment

Hmmm, so I haven't read anything in awhile; having kids really fucks with your book reading time. Sometimes I read at work, but not as much as before; when I was reading 1-3 books every night.

Last thing that I read was The Whole Seed Catalog and some newest Mother Earths News magazines.

I'm thinking about buying a kindle, just because I won't be able to bug out a few thousand books if the need arises.
            It's not the size of the dog, in the fight. It's the size of the fight, in the dog.

Comment

I joined this book club last year.

http://www.florenceandthemachinefanc...two-books.html

Comment

Originally posted by HeavyHauler View Post

No, I've never heard of it. I'll have to look it up.

Never heard of that one either, sounds interesting.

Yeah, they sneak up on you and then jump out from the corner at you. I always get surprised when I read Book 1 of something and later find that there is another 12+ books in the series. I always think I'm discovering something new in a book store.

And you're supposed to bring the books back, Night ! It's not a free book store!

Libraries here let you check out books on your ipad/kindle/whatever. You download the book and when the due date comes, poof, it's gone. No trips to the library, no fines. I'm sure there's an app for your phone that would let you read books -- if nothing else, there's a kindle app.

I bought the silo books on my kindle app. If you can figure out how to send copy, let me know and I'll send them to you

Comment

I owm most of the curious george series. i mostly just look at the pictures. sometimes when mom comes over, we read them out loud together

Comment

Originally posted by rab View Post
                    I owm most of the curious george series. i mostly just look at the pictures. sometimes when mom comes over, we read them out loud together

Comment

Originally posted by Night View Post

Libraries here let you check out books on your ipad/kindle/whatever. You download the book and when the due date comes, poof, it's gone. No trips to the library, no fines. I'm sure there's an app for your phone that would let you read books -- if nothing else, there's a kindle app.

I bought the silo books on my kindle app. If you can figure out how to send copy, let me know and I'll send them to you
                      I don't think our library is like that, I'll have to go there and check it out. I've been here almost two and a half years and still haven't gotten a library card. I think I'll do that this weekend.

My son really enjoys those books too, and the Thomas and Friends books. Do you like those too, little rabbi?

Comment

I like thomas.

sir top,em hat is just a bad ass.

ive never even watched thomas with kids and still like it.

Comment

I like thomas.

sir top,em hat is just a bad ass.

ive never even watched thomas with kids and still like it.
                          Hahaha I've never watched it, until my son discovered it. Now, it's usually just me who finishes watching the movies while my son leaves to go cause mischief.

Comment

Comment

My reading books kinda went by the wayside once I got a puter. Now my old reading time is spent on the puter doing a lot of different things for entertainment. I used to read 10 magazines a week. Now it's one if that. But on the plus side if not for putters I would not have you good folks to converse with. I would just be my lone self, either buried in a book or jerkin off to the latest Playboy!
                              Screw diplomacy...........bring it!

Comment

Working...
                              X