Food Related Rambling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Food Related Rambling

It was a nice balmy 55 degrees yesterday (that's 12.777 for you primitives that don't use real measurements) so I wanted to do something outside. Have an incredible view from the back of the volcano Mount Redoubt across the inlet, and thought maybe I would get a few pictures of it. Turns out the only camera I own is on my cell phone. Crappy quality, plus the volcano was obscured by clouds.

So then I figured what the hell, crappy camera, why not find some indistinct objects and make some Bigfoot evidence?

Started digging through the storage shed for burlap sacks, dark tarps, or anything else I could drape over a limb or stump in the woods when I realized I was hungry. Wandered back inside to see that the ol' lady had set out a couple of chicken quarters. Knowing that she would probably do something healthy with them if left to her own devices, I took 'em out to the offset smoker. Fired the smoker up with mesquite, & went inside for some tea.

Got to thinking about then that man, whole lotta space on that smoker. Be a shame for it to go to waste. So I poked around in the freezer & found more chicken. Put it on the center of the smoker to thaw it out. Still a lotta room left. Next trip found a couple of sirloins. Started thawing them out too...

By nine in the evening I had piled up 10 leg quarters, 4 steaks, 2 salmon filets, 6 burgers, & a dozen smoked sausages.

Bored with food and a grill never ends well for me.
    Last edited by Slats; 04-30-2016, 02:50 PM.

I'll have a steak or a burger please. I can't eat chicken legs, they gross me out
    Tuesday is soylent green day

Comment

I'm in favor of having a ready supply of cooked meat.
      I don't know.

Comment

I should send you a bag of manuka chips. Ruin you for anything else.

Comment

Originally posted by Absolutely! View Post
          I should send you a bag of manuka chips. Ruin you for anything else.
          Figured manuka was a flower or plant like clover. Heard of manuka honey is why I thought that. Then again, there is mesquite honey too. Suppose its a flowering tree, then.

Mesquite is considered an overgrown weed in Texas, not useful for much other than smoking meats with. Stupid Yankees consider it an expensive lumber and pay out their stupid noses for it. If they had half a brain they would drive down south in a truck and have a rancher or farmer pay them to cut it down & haul it off. Idiots.

Comment

Originally posted by Slats View Post

Figured manuka was a flower or plant like clover. Heard of manuka honey is why I thought that. Then again, there is mesquite honey too. Suppose its a flowering tree, then.

Mesquite is considered an overgrown weed in Texas, not useful for much other than smoking meats with. Stupid Yankees consider it an expensive lumber and pay out their stupid noses for it. If they had half a brain they would drive down south in a truck and have a rancher or farmer pay them to cut it down & haul it off. Idiots.
            Manuka is a kind of scrub bush, not good for much but burning as it is short limbed, bushy, twisted. You can turn it into bowls I guess - but it's immensely flawed. The wood is wonderfully dense and burns for hours, with a fantastic aroma. Meat smoked with it is absolutely gorgeous.

It's used in 'tea tree oil' products - tea tree is the western name for it. The oil kills lice and is used as an antiseptic.

Manuka honey is disgusting, i think people eat it the same way they eat 70% cocoa chocolate - for the wank value.

Comment

In other words, I like to open the fridge and there's meat in there, already cooked, that I can eat whenever I want.
              I don't know.

Comment

yall use ur scab wood....

pecan, live oak oar wild cherry ........

nuff said
                "Virtute et armis"

Girls play with dolls. Men play with dead animals

https://www.uso.org

Islam is right about women

sde: Because it was trolling and by damn God, that's what we fucking do here. Always have, always will

#learn2code

Epstein didn't kill himself & neither did Qassem Soleimani

Eric Ciaramella is the whistle blower

Comment

It's used in 'tea tree oil' products - tea tree is the western name for it. The oil kills lice and is used as an antiseptic.

So Manuka is another name for Melaleuca?

I don't think that is correct. Melaleuca alternifolia is what is used to produce Tea Tree Oil
                  Go Space Force!!!

Comment

Originally posted by swampbilly View Post
                    yall use ur scab wood....

pecan, live oak oar wild cherry ........

nuff said
                    I would try those, but I want the meat to taste good.

Honestly, pecan ain't that bad.

Comment

Originally posted by Slats View Post

I would try those, but I want the meat to taste good.

Honestly, pecan ain't that bad.

then there is mississippi mesquite
                      "Virtute et armis"

Girls play with dolls. Men play with dead animals

https://www.uso.org

Islam is right about women

sde: Because it was trolling and by damn God, that's what we fucking do here. Always have, always will

#learn2code

Epstein didn't kill himself & neither did Qassem Soleimani

Eric Ciaramella is the whistle blower

Comment

Citrus trees makes for good cooking.
                        Go Space Force!!!

Comment

Actually any of the fruit/nut bearing trees makes good cooking wood.
                          https://csagovernment.org/index.html

http://deovindice.org/

http://dixienet.org/

http://leagueofthesouth.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Mayaca View Post

So Manuka is another name for Melaleuca?

I don't think that is correct. Melaleuca alternifolia is what is used to produce Tea Tree Oil
                            you are kidding me . Not another bloody totally different thing. I think we're world famous and then I discover you've got some nasty samizdatz version you're talking about. Sigh.

Melaleuca alternifolia - narrow leaved ti-tree. That is just wrong. It is ridiculous. It looks like an albino bottle-brush.

Grumble mutter.

(j/k as usual for those humour-challenged out there)

Leptospermum is the tree. Beautiful tree with beautiful flowers and wonderful aroma. Gorgeous, gorgeous tree. Kills nits, kills lice. our native parrot, ffs, uses its bark and sap as a grooming tool to get rid of bird mites.

Comment

you are kidding me . Not another bloody totally different thing. I think we're world famous and then I discover you've got some nasty samizdatz version you're talking about. Sigh.

Melaleuca alternifolia - narrow leaved ti-tree. That is just wrong. It is ridiculous. It looks like an albino bottle-brush.

Grumble mutter.

(j/k as usual for those humour-challenged out there)

Leptospermum is the tree. Beautiful tree with beautiful flowers and wonderful aroma. Gorgeous, gorgeous tree. Kills nits, kills lice. our native parrot, ffs, uses its bark and sap as a grooming tool to get rid of bird mites.
                              At least this time I know for a fact that it is not a U.S. thing. Melaleuca is what the Brits call Tea Tree oil too. Their commandos carried it to clean wounds during WW II. (It wouldn't catch fire as easily as alcohol if their medical kit got hit by an incendiary round.)
                              Go Space Force!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X