Snake Advice and Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Snake Advice and Help

I'm building a raised wooden sidewalk across the lawn to go to my deck. What do I put underneath it to keep snakes out?

One website said river rock. I would think rock would attract the snakes. Another said gravel . . . I've killed about four snakes crawling up my gravel driveway.

Any other suggestions?
    Tuesday is soylent green day

You won't keep them out. You're basically building them a shelter in your yard. Maybe get a weasel?

Comment

Maybe screen it some how. Still a chance a small one could get in under.

One time I lived in base housing in Jax Florida that had a screened in back porch. My backyard was up against the base lake. I expected to see snakes and aligators everyday but, I didn't. Never seen a gator at all in almost three years there.

Anyway, one day went in there to drink my coffee and there on the concret deck was a garter snake about a foot or so was laying there looking at me. Never did figure out how that snake got in there.

Comment

Originally posted by Night View Post
        I would think rock would attract the snakes. Another said gravel

The rock and gravel are only yummy if they are warmed by the sun. Being under the walkway would not attract them, plus depending on how high off the ground your walk is, it would give you a clear field of view to see them under there.

Seems like as good an idea as any to me.

Go Space Force!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Mayaca View Post

The rock and gravel are only yummy if they are warmed by the sun. Being under the walkway would not attract them, plus depending on how high off the ground your walk is, it would give you a clear field of view to see them under there.

Seems like as good an idea as any to me.

Sun warmed . . . I didn't think of that. There is no sun there it's under a giant tree. Walkway is about 3-4 inches off the ground. I do not want a nest of black snakes under there (like happened in my rock garden out front).

Comment

Red on black is good for Jack. Red on yellow will kill a fellow.
            https://csagovernment.org/index.html

http://deovindice.org/

http://dixienet.org/

http://leagueofthesouth.com/

Comment

I do not want a nest of black snakes under there (like happened in my rock garden out front).

And yet I was always told that as long as you have Black racers you won't have rattlesnakes..........

Go Space Force!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Mayaca View Post

And yet I was always told that as long as you have Black racers you won't have rattlesnakes..........

Rattlesnakes give warning . . .

I was wrong -- the sidewalk sits up 6.5 inches off the ground.

Comment

Move to a condo
                  "Virtute et armis"

Girls play with dolls. Men play with dead animals

https://www.uso.org

Islam is right about women

sde: Because it was trolling and by damn God, that's what we fucking do here. Always have, always will

#learn2code

Epstein didn't kill himself & neither did Qassem Soleimani

Eric Ciaramella is the whistle blower

Comment

Keep a couple of mongoose under the walkway.

Comment

Black racers kill venomous snakes.

And gravel is sound advice. If it's in the shade it too cold for snakes.

Comment

Originally posted by Sky View Post
                        Black racers kill venomous snakes.

And gravel is sound advice. If it's in the shade it too cold for snakes.
                        That's what I thought but I've killed most of my snakes in the shade! Guess they didn't get the memo

Comment

Originally posted by swampbilly View Post
                          Move to a condo
                          Right......

Definition of condo.....they needed some dough, so they came up with a good con

Comment

Because snakes are ectothermic, on a hot summer day, the cool, dark rocks might be just where they want to be. I've seen a number of ankle biters hiding in a cool spot down south.

Best advice: don't kill the large non-venomous ones. They're easy to see and easy to live with. If you keep the rodents at bay, the snakes wont be much of a bother.
                            Textually Active

Comment

That's what I thought but I've killed most of my snakes in the shade! Guess they didn't get the memo
                              They don't mind shade but rocks in the shade are cooler.

It is a detractor.

Snakes are a part of my job, I wear snake boots to work.

You can always throw a few moth balls in your gravel in the shade. Just to be double safe

Comment

Working...
                              X