Reflecting on our lives

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reflecting on our lives

Many of us at times reflect on our lives and we can be filled with deep remorse or ambivalence. I know there are regrets, and at times, feelings of emptiness because we could have done something different, but we didn’t, and then the moment was gone. Life is like that, something is here and then it’s relegated to the past in a fleeting moment. It has been my philosophy for many years to reach out for my dreams and then pull them to me and never let go. Dreams can be like smoke, hardly tangible and barely visible at times, but when they are present you have to hold on to them, or like so many things in our lives that are fleeting, they can suddenly be gone.

Love is like that as far as I can tell. When the opportunity for us to have the love many of us yearn for is upon us, at times we don’t see it for what it is, that opportunity for deep and abiding happiness. We don’t always recognize that moment or we cannot grasp the consequence when it is there for us to reach out and take it and make it our own. How sad we are as a species when the combination of circumstances whispers in our ear and we ignore that sweet voice. For those who have had the good fortune to understand that subtle rustling as it glides past our hearing, perhaps if we were to deftly reach out and take that wondrous gift that has been presented to us, we are the lucky ones. Those who grasped happiness before it could elude us.

As a youngster, everything was new and exciting and seemingly beyond my reach. Like a pair of ears that jut out from my head, they appeared to be too big but that wasn’t so because like opportunities that still lie out there in the nebulous future for me, I simply had not grown into them yet. Opportunity lurks just out of reach for many of us but every now and then we are presented with them, it is only then a slight matter of us reaching out a hand and then taking them to make them our own.

I believe we make our own luck. When we are presented with options that can change our lives it is up to us to recognize them, take them, clutch them tight because if we are strong enough and we are not too foolish to let them get away from us, maybe we can keep them. Hold them and like a sculpture, manipulate them into that which we wish our dreams to be. Oftentimes a dream will escape your grasp and when it’s gone it could be gone forever. We make our own future by the choices we make. Be careful about what you wish for. You may get what you want and after getting it, it may well not be what you thought it was going to be. Wish for and be willing to receive the simple things like the genuine love of a good woman. That is priceless.

I’m a writer, much like a sculpture of marble, I sculpt with words. I create and paint the picture I want you to see with my words I write. Never be afraid to reach out and try that which you imagine yourself to be. If I can do it so can you.
    Author

yup
    "Virtute et armis"

Girls play with dolls. Men play with dead animals

https://www.uso.org

Islam is right about women

sde: Because it was trolling and by damn God, that's what we fucking do here. Always have, always will

#learn2code

Epstein didn't kill himself & neither did Qassem Soleimani

Eric Ciaramella is the whistle blower

Comment

I don’t do regret per se.

You do the best you can with the tools at hand.

I have made the mistakes of youth, and certainly would do things differently if I had a time machine or way to educate the younger me, but he didn’t have the scars and hard earned wisdom I do. He made his best choices with the emotional maturity he had. I forgave him his mistakes long ago.

Go Space Force!!!

Comment

What is behind you, isn't important.
        "Virtute et armis"

sde: Because it was trolling and by damn God, that's what we fucking do here. Always have, always will

#learn2code

Comment

Originally posted by swampbilly View Post
          What is behind you, isn't important.
          Unless it's sneaking up on you.

Comment

Originally posted by Unclefred View Post

Unless it's sneaking up on you.
            true
            "Virtute et armis"

#learn2code

Comment

I have one regret. Just one.
              It's not the size of the dog, in the fight. It's the size of the fight, in the dog.

No guts, no glory. All pain, and fury.

Comment

Working...
              X