Poison ivy itch relief!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Poison ivy itch relief!

I work in the woods, and get poison ivy now and then. Got some that started itching yesterday, and honestly none of the calamine stuff helps me. I read online to try capsaicin creme like they sell for arthritis. I know cayenne herbally is anti inflammatory, and is good verses blood pressure and heart attack, so I tried it.

IT WORKS! I put some on this morning when it was driving me crazy and went all day not itching, about 9 hours till it started back.
    I also took an antihistamine since this is supposed to reduce the breakout.

Go Space Force!!!

10 Characters
    Last edited by Sock; 12-22-2015, 08:30 AM.

Comment

I use Eucalyptus essential oil on any outbreaks that occur. I will scrape the area with a knife, dump on some vinegar, and then pat dry. Then cover it with the eucalyptus and its cured.

I will have to check out the hot pepper a bit more and maybe try some cayenne pepper next time.
      Textually Active

Comment

Originally posted by Harry Henderson View Post
        I use Eucalyptus essential oil on any outbreaks that occur. I will scrape the area with a knife, dump on some vinegar, and then pat dry. Then cover it with the eucalyptus and its cured.

I will have to check out the hot pepper a bit more and maybe try some cayenne pepper next time.
        Interesting. I have some essential oils. Keep tons of eucalyptus. may try a limited area to compare.
        Go Space Force!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Mayaca View Post

Interesting. I have some essential oils. Keep tons of eucalyptus. may try a limited area to compare.
          Worth a try. Tthe scraping exposes the plant oils, the vinegar washes away the oil and disinfects, and the oil treats the irritation and provides relief. It can be borderline sadism (like many a vicious itch), but using just the essential oil is supposed to work too.
          Textually Active

Comment

Originally posted by Harry Henderson View Post

Worth a try. Tthe scraping exposes the plant oils, the vinegar washes away the oil and disinfects, and the oil treats the irritation and provides relief. It can be borderline sadism (like many a vicious itch), but using just the essential oil is supposed to work too.
            Oh its probably too late for me then. I had the oil on me two days ago. scrubbed off since then but still reacting to what penetrated the skin and the blisters have come up.

But as to the sadism.......... I have a condition where pain doesnn't process correctly. If I get cut, it doesn't hurt, it itches. Dont know how else to explain it. I burned my entire right forearm and didn't know it till I smelled the hair. I wanted to try cauterizing once, so I cut my arm open and then burned it closed with a nail I heated with a torch. So since my arm is itching from the rash, it will probably feel really good to scrape it LOL
            Go Space Force!!!

Comment

The eucalyptus still works for you, as it serves as an anti-inflamatory, itch relief, and antiseptic. Also good on bug bites and it s mosquito repellent.

I usually re-apply every day for a couple days until it is gone.
              Textually Active

Comment

I will do a test spot, but it would be hard to do better than the capsaicin.
                Go Space Force!!!

Comment

I am severely allergic to poison ivy and don't like to get shots. Tecnu is incredible. You can take it with you and use it wherever. I feel the ivy within minutes of exposure and you pour the Tecnu on dry and rub like mad, then rinse. I scour my face, ears, and between my fingers with it. Do you remember as a child, taking your sheets and zipping it between your fingers to burn the ivy off? Maybe that was just my weird method. I would do that till it bled.
                  No problem can be solved from the same level of consciousness that created it. -Einstein

Comment

You people are wussies. I just scratch the fuck out of it. Once it spreads all over, it starts to heal. It only takes about a month if you use my method.

Comment

Technu is the go to product that the different land management agencies supply to their crews. During fire seasons out west, they order cases of this stocked in the camps for those guys to use when they come in off the line.

I have used gasoline for the same purpose. The urishiol oil (or whatever its called) is what you react to. So if you can cut the oil off of you asap it helps. If you have nothing else and know you got some on you, then wipe down with brake clean or gasoline (warning, these products have been shown to cause cancer in california. so dont use them there)
                      Go Space Force!!!

Comment

My dad bathes in bleach, but I don't want to do that. After I hunt mushrooms the first time, I only go out in full body covering, plus rubber boots and rubber gloves.
                        No problem can be solved from the same level of consciousness that created it. -Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by brewmaster View Post
                          You people are wussies. I just scratch the fuck out of it. Once it spreads all over, it starts to heal. It only takes about a month if you use my method.
                          You're crazy! I've had it in my eyes, mouth and ears. Had to go to the hospital over that one and wash my mouth out with a horrible viscous liquid for a week.

Comment

I've had good luck with this stuff. It's expensive though.

Comment

I've always used cheap bottom shelf vodka. Soak a rag with it and scrub the area. It works.
                              https://csagovernment.org/index.html

http://deovindice.org/

http://dixienet.org/

http://leagueofthesouth.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X