Do you believe in "good luck"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do you believe in "good luck"?

I put this in science because I figure those who don't will have reasons. All I know is I am a really lucky guy...... a lot. I have a huge history of having good things happen to me, especially at work.
    I get sent out west to work a summer project, and when I get there, they dont need me in the job they ordered. So instead they let me do something higher rank and higher pay. My coworkers in the same situation would be sent home. This has happened multiple times.

Today, I won a contest from a survival site. I dont remember what was in the prize bucket, a pocket chainsaw (the good one) and a couple other small items.

It made me wonder....... is luck real? Is it a function of positive energy and outlook? glass half full stuff?
    Go Space Force!!!

You betcha. I should have been dead several times and in prison twice.
    I am a lucky mother fucker.
    I firmly believe that everything happens for a reason though. Even the bad stuff. It all builds character.

Comment

I think it's real and you're either born with it or you aren't.

I am not lucky. I don't win things or find things.

My little brother can buy one raffle ticket and win the grand prize. He does it every time.
      Tuesday is soylent green day

Comment

I don't win things either. I don't even try anymore. I just bust my ass to earn what I want. I'm lucky with things that affect my entire life.

Comment

I do win things now and then, but my luck is more like........... I will be in the middle of a project at work, and there is some specific tool I need. No one has any. I am the guy who goes out to an old shed and finds one new in the box that no one knew was there. Stuff like that happens to me often.................
          Go Space Force!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Mayaca View Post
            I put this in science because I figure those who don't will have reasons. All I know is I am a really lucky guy...... a lot. I have a huge history of having good things happen to me, especially at work.
            I get sent out west to work a summer project, and when I get there, they dont need me in the job they ordered. So instead they let me do something higher rank and higher pay. My coworkers in the same situation would be sent home. This has happened multiple times.

Today, I won a contest from a survival site. I dont remember what was in the prize bucket, a pocket chainsaw (the good one) and a couple other small items.

It made me wonder....... is luck real? Is it a function of positive energy and outlook? glass half full stuff?

Statistically speaking, there are always outliers. This means that there is going to be one guy born every now and again, whose every guess is correct. Not because he knows in advance, but because statistically speaking, it's possible and the more humans are born, the larger the population and the more definite the normal curve. This means that your 3rd deviations start to show up.

The guy who NEVER gets it right, and the guy who always gets it right.

He might think he's psychic. He's not. He's a stastical outlier. There is no luck. There is only statistics.

Comment

Originally posted by Absolutely! View Post

Statistically speaking, there are always outliers. This means that there is going to be one guy born every now and again, whose every guess is correct. Not because he knows in advance, but because statistically speaking, it's possible and the more humans are born, the larger the population and the more definite the normal curve. This means that your 3rd deviations start to show up.

The guy who NEVER gets it right, and the guy who always gets it right.

He might think he's psychic. He's not. He's a stastical outlier. There is no luck. There is only statistics.
              This, math and science are the answer. Doesn't mean I don't call a certain person out when he says there's not going to be any issues with a job.
              This sig didn't cost me any money.

Comment

I dont believe in luck. Everything I have I have worked damn hard for.
                I get people at least once a week who say wow I must be lucky to have what I have and be retired at 43.
                Um no I worked my ass off 24/7 to earn it.
                I think effort is often misinterpreted as luck, every successful and "Lucky" person I know has put alot of effort into what they have.

Comment

I think it's outlook. There is a person in my life who is angry at everything. She has had the world served to her on a platter for the last 18 years and it's never enough. Mom and dad (inlaws) butcher 20 chickens for her family. She sells them and tells us at the dinner table. I go with mom and dad (inlaws) and butcher a cow. They are given half with no effort and she tells us she has been selling steaks to her sister. Yet no one gives them enough. Nothing is ever enough. Her outlook is so negative and she feels slighted by the world.

I think people are born positive, negative, or passive. I'm not sure if there is such a thing as luck, but if there is, I have it. That could also be due to the fact that I am positive for the most part.
                  No problem can be solved from the same level of consciousness that created it. -Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by Harlequin View Post
                    I think it's outlook. There is a person in my life who is angry at everything. She has had the world served to her on a platter for the last 18 years and it's never enough. Mom and dad (inlaws) butcher 20 chickens for her family. She sells them and tells us at the dinner table. I go with mom and dad (inlaws) and butcher a cow. They are given half with no effort and she tells us she has been selling steaks to her sister. Yet no one gives them enough. Nothing is ever enough. Her outlook is so negative and she feels slighted by the world.

I think people are born positive, negative, or passive. I'm not sure if there is such a thing as luck, but if there is, I have it. That could also be due to the fact that I am positive for the most part.

I don't think they're born that way: i think they are spoiled. Just saying.

Comment

Originally posted by Absolutely! View Post

I don't think they're born that way: i think they are spoiled. Just saying.
                      I would think so too, had I not know her past. Her mother was a total psycho and was awful to her.
                      No problem can be solved from the same level of consciousness that created it. -Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by Harlequin View Post

I would think so too, had I not know her past. Her mother was a total psycho and was awful to her.
                        Maybe she just doesn't know how rude she's being then?

Comment

We have fallen into the ancient debate of nurture verses nature. And the truth is (in my opinion) both are influences on who people become. People are born with tendencies and potentials. Then their experiences either encourage or discourage thoughts and behaviors.

Same debate about your friend acting spoiled can be made for homosexuality and tons of other behaviors. I believe that both factors influence people, and to varying degrees. So twins with the same upbringing will still end up living differently.

*Alright! Now the discussion will get INTERESTING!
                          Go Space Force!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Night View Post
                            I think it's real and you're either born with it or you aren't.

I am not lucky. I don't win things or find things.

My little brother can buy one raffle ticket and win the grand prize. He does it every time.
                            is he retired living off his winnings?
                            Screw diplomacy...........bring it!

Comment

I don't believe in luck. My belief is you create your own reality. In other words everything that happens to you is because of the choices you make.
                              Screw diplomacy...........bring it!

Comment

Working...
                              X