Joe Medicine Crow Dies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Joe Medicine Crow Dies

Joe Medicine Crow, a war chief, historian and the last link to the Battle of Little Big Horn, dies at 102

"According to Crow tradition, a man must fulfill certain requirements to become chief of the tribe: command a war party successfully, enter an enemy camp at night and steal a horse, wrestle a weapon away from his enemy and touch the first enemy fallen, without killing him."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...n-dies-at-102/

"His step-grandfather, White Man Runs Him, was a scout for George Armstrong Custer and an eyewitness to the Battle of the Little Bighorn."

"Joseph Medicine Crow joined the army, becoming a scout in the 103rd Infantry Division. Whenever he went into battle, he wore his war paint beneath his uniform and a sacred eagle feather beneath his helmet.[1] Medicine Crow completed all four tasks required to become a war chief."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Medicine_Crow

Comment

For those who like to skim, Jim Medicine Crow is the LAST full fledged War Chief. It's the end of something historic. Not sure now if there IS a path to become one. I know some tribes have gone as far as to make "exceptions". Like leading a hand crew of firefighters into a forest fire might be allowed as leading a war party. It is a badass thing, but not the same to me. The work around might get them the title, but it isn't the same to me.
      Let’s Go Brandon!!!!!

Comment

Comment

I just remembered, some tribes are also considering being tribal police to be a "warrior" gig like being head of a hunting party.

I wish Sky was here to chip in. I know there are a couple others on here that know more about such topics than I do.
          Let’s Go Brandon!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Mayaca View Post
            I just remembered, some tribes are also considering being tribal police to be a "warrior" gig like being head of a hunting party.

I wish Sky was here to chip in. I know there are a couple others on here that know more about such topics than I do.
            Times are changing.

And history becomes just that.

RIP CrowJoe
            ~" If you suck ass long enough, pretty soon you start choking on shit."~

Comment

Rest in peace.
              I don't know.

Comment

Working...
              X