Dakota Access Pipeline

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dakota Access Pipeline

Sky mentioned this recently and I had seen one article about it. I'm not doing anything this morning so I started searching online.

I did a quick search for Fox News stories and found this. The story has gotten a lot of coverage since the clash.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/09/04...destroyed.html

I am sympathetic to people's heritage but can't help but wonder who is behind the scenes pulling the strings.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/article...it-matter.html

"On the surface, the Dakota Access Pipeline (DAPL) is a clash between Big Oil and Native Americans. Industry says the pipeline, a $3.8 billion project of Energy Transfer Products (ETP) that would carry 570,000 barrels of crude oil per day from the Dakotas to Illinois, where it would be sent to East Coast markets by train, is essential for energy independence. DAPL’s backers also say it poses no serious environmental risk, and so far, multiple agencies and courts have agreed.

DAPL’s opponents disagree. They note that the pipeline crosses the Missouri half a mile upstream from a reservation belonging to the Standing Rock Sioux Tribe. A leak could threaten the reservation’s water supply. Moreover, activists say, while the route of the pipeline avoids the reservation proper, it crosses tribal lands that contain relics that have already been uncovered during the construction process."

Comment

"On the environmental side, the motives are actually mixed. On the surface, the objections to the pipelines have to do with safety and pollution. Really, though, much of the campaign is about climate change. One leading campaign supporting the anti-DAPL protests, for example, is called #keepitintheground (the “it” being fossil fuels in general) and one of its leading voices is climate activist Bill McKibben. (DiCaprio, too, has been outspoken on fighting climate change.)

Anti-DAPL activists say they don’t want the DAPL built here. But in reality, they don’t want it built anywhere. Their real goals are combating fossil fuel development, moving America toward renewables, and mitigating global climate change. (At present, oil, gas, and coal comprise 81 percent of American energy consumption. Renewables comprise 5 percent.)

And that’s why they love to hate pipelines. The much-debated and for-now-denied Keystone XL, which would transport crude oil from Canadian tar sands to American ports, is perhaps the most infamous. But there are many others, including the Spectra Algonquin AIM pipeline being built across the Northeast, attracting protests in Boston and New York, where the route now runs 105 feet from an aging nuclear power plant."

Comment

There were injuries on both sides and in visiting different sites and watching videos I saw Indians pulling down a fence, assaulting construction workers, using horses to intimidate workers and one Indian had a pit bull on a leash confronting security with their dogs on leashes.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/dakota-a...-north-dakota/

"Morton County Sheriff’s Office spokeswoman Donnell Preskey said four private security guards and two guard dogs were injured after several hundred protesters confronted construction crews Saturday afternoon at the DakotaAccess pipeline construction site just outside the Standing Rock Sioux reservation. One of the security officers was taken to a Bismarck hospital for undisclosed injuries. The two guard dogs were taken to a Bismarck veterinary clinic, Preskey said.

Tribe spokesman Steve Sitting Bear said protesters reported that six people had been bitten by security dogs, including a young child. At least 30 people were pepper-sprayed, he said. Preskey said law enforcement authorities had no reports of protesters being injured.

There were no law enforcement personnel at the site when the incident occurred, Preskey said. The crowd dispersed when officers arrived and no one was arrested, she said."

This was not a peaceful protest so I have to ask, who brings women and children to a fight?

Comment

I believe that these people are being used. I hope that no one dies.

Comment

The country is done. Lets just get the shooting started already.
            https://csagovernment.org/index.html

http://deovindice.org/

http://dixienet.org/

http://leagueofthesouth.com/

Comment

Originally posted by dudeman View Post
              The country is done. Lets just get the shooting started already.

“Only a virtuous people are capable of freedom. As nations become corrupt and vicious, they have more need of masters.” Benjamin Franklin

I was thinking about this quote and others the other night and remembering when Ross Perot ran as a 3rd party candidate for President pulling enough votes from the Republican candidates for Bill Clinton to win. I believe that was necessary as the country wasn't far enough gone morally to elect someone so morally bankrupt.

When Trump announced his candidacy that was the first thing I thought, that he might be here to help finish the job. I believe that there are good people in this country and they are doing what they can to keep holding it together for the most part but the other side doesn't fight fair.

If we don't figure something out real soon though I believe that all will be lost and I just don't see Trump as that something. Hopefully I am wrong.

Comment

Tanks.

Comment

I'll be honest from the title I thought this was a SB gay bashing thread. I'm glad it's not even if the subject matter is sad.

Comment

It's always about money. Follow the money
                    Tuesday is soylent green day

Comment

If I was there and a fucking dog bit me. It would get a four inch blade in its skull

Comment

I don't want anything to do with Dakota's access pipeline.
                        ------------

Comment

Originally posted by Smudge View Post
                          I'll be honest from the title I thought this was a SB gay bashing thread. I'm glad it's not even if the subject matter is sad.
                          Sorry, Smudge. Had to.
                          ------------

Comment

His pipeline be dripping sticky shit for many decades to cum.

Comment

But. I can see why people don't want pipelines anywhere near them. Corporations. Really could care less if shit leaks all over. They know they will clean it up half assed. Get fined. Then just do it again.

All to maximize profit. We do need pipelines. Until our vehicles are Jetson like.

Why can't they put some normal ecological group in charge if building it. One that won't save every bug they run over building it, but give a shit. Make it safe. So fucking oil don't end up running down the Missouri river. All the way to st. Louis. Then to new Orleans.

Comment

Working...
                              X